Monday, May 5, 2008

Officially Dead, No Longer Needs to Pay Taxes

http://www.reuters.com/article/oddlyEnoughNews/idUSL2969508720080129

Reuters
29 January 2008

Man struggles to return from the dead

WARSAW (Reuters) - Red tape is preventing a Polish man from returning from the dead.

Piotr Kucy, 38 and from the city of Polkowice in southwest Poland, was wrongly identified by authorities last August as a drowned man, only to show up a few days after his own funeral.

Despite pointing out the fact that he was alive to government officials, Kucy still remains dead in official records, stopping him from working and paying social insurance.

But on the bright side, a local newspaper reported on Tuesday, he no longer needs to pay taxes. [...]

Fortean Times 236 (July 2008), p. 17.

"I tried to pay my taxes, but was told I couldn't because I was dead," said Teodor Deac, 46, from Negresti Oas in northern Romania. "It turns out that I had been dead since a car crash in June 2007... It was fun at first, but I am hoping to get it corrected soon. After all, as a dead man I can't even go to the doctors, and what if I get married? My wife would be a widow straight away and my children orphans." (Dublin) Metro, 28 Feb 2008

No comments:

Post a Comment