Thursday, May 1, 2008

Shoe Tree in Northern Michigan

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080501/BLOG01/80501035

Detroit Free Press
1 May 2008

Weird 'shoe tree' in northern Michigan

By MIKE WENDLAND
FREE PRESS VIDEO AND TECHNOLOGY COLUMNIST

I was on my way up M-33 for a video column I'm working on in Alpena when, just a couple miles past the town of Fairview north of Mio, I spotted a bizarre collection of shoes tossed in the branches of a tree. [...]

[One reader's comment:]

I was a teenager in Livonia in the early '90's and we used to drive out to a shoe tree on 9 Mile Rd. It had quite a lot of shoes, similar to the one in your story. I'm not sure exactly where it was, probably Lyon Township, but it was were 9 Mile turned into a windy dirt road. It was near a home that had garage with a big yellow smiley face. The story I heard was that the shoes were put there by a crazy man who lived in the house with the smiley face garage. They were the shoes of the children he supposedly killed or something. I live in the Chicago area now and I don't have a picture, sorry.
Carolyn Barnes

No comments:

Post a Comment