Wednesday, March 25, 2009

U-Boat in Solway Firth

http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/opinion/letters/u_boat_mystery_folklore_1_531237?referrerPath=opinion/

News & Star [UK]
25 March 2009

Letters

U-Boat mystery folklore

I have been reading about the German U-Boat which came up the Solway Firth during the First World War. I heard about it many years ago when I was very young.

My mother was then just 13-years-old at the time that she saw the German U-Boat come on the beach at Parton.

She told me that a German officer came on the shore and told the crowd that they were not going to harm them.

The big guns were firing shells at Haig Pit.

He told them that some German soldiers were working down the pit and that they had come to get them. They must have been prisoners of war.

I am 84 years old and I can still remember that far back.

H J THURSBY
Coronation Drive
Frizington

No comments:

Post a Comment