Saturday, February 14, 2015

Two LSD Stories from the Oracle (1967)



The San Francisco Oracle: The Psychedelic Newspaper of the Haight Ashbury (Oakland: Regent Press, 2005). CD-ROM.

“Ees Setisoppo with Dick Alpert.” [Interview with Richard Alpert.] The City of San Francisco Oracle, Vol. 1, No. 5 (January 1967), p. 10.

Or the story: as I was looking for real estate, a cat down on the lower East Side said, “Come on and have a drink. My scene isn’t LSD, it’s hash, but I’d like to talk to you anyway.” And he said, “The LSD people next door, they’re having a party up on the eighth floor and they were looking out over the terrace and one of guys said, ‘I think I’ll jump.’ And the other guy said, ‘Cool!’ And so he jumped and fell eight stories and he fell with his head against the curb broken and he was coughing blood out of his mouth and nose and this guy was watching out of his window, and the fellow on the curb, while the ambulance was coming, was blowing kisses at the people up on the eighth floor and saying, ‘Here I am, dying in the gutter, looking at my friends. Goodbye…Goodbye.’ And the ambulance came and he died.” And the guy said to me, “Isn’t that horrible. He was only nineteen. He had all that promise.” And I said, “Well, what’s so horrible about it?” I said, “His life made a pretty strong statement because you remembered it and you just told me and I am gonna tell lots of people.” But now, I dug like, how far out does my consciousness have to go to be able to break through and assess that act?

 “Changes.”  [Alan Watts, Gary Snyder, Timothy Leary & Allen Ginsberg.] The City of San Francisco Oracle, Vol. 1, No. 7 (April 1967), p. 8.

WATTS: It’s like the guy in Los Angeles who had a bad trip on LSD and turned himself into the police, and wrote: “Please help me. Signed, Jehovah.” (laughter)

LEARY: Beautiful! (more laughter) It’s about time he caught on, huh? (more laughter)